Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Good Old Fashioned Cooking

     Yesterday while we where in the Car driving home,  I started to make a running list of all the things I use to cook.  Now that is a long list when you have been cooking for 41 years.
      The reason I started this list is because I have realized I just do not cook like I use to because we just do not eat like we use too. The days of Family cooking are very few and If I do make a recipe we like, we end up eating it for 3 days.
But the truth is I really miss cooking good old fashioned meals.  I collect new recipes and have a binder of someday I will try to make this recipes, but I never get around to it.
The other week I pulled out this binder and looked for a good one to try.  As I searched it has occured to me most of these recipes are complicated or call for an ingredient that I do not generally keep in the pantry.  That is when it hit me....... When did Cooking become so complicated ?
I think when I started to watch the Food Network !
All the new ingredients and all the new gadgets you need to make a recipe that may end up costing 
52.00.  I think that is when I stopped my good old fashioned cooking ?
Collecting these new "Gourmet Recipes" may have somehow made the easy cooking seem not
Good enough !
When our Grandkids stay with us they love my simple things I make them chicken noodle soup and 
Grandma's meatballs that I leave all the extra spices and salt out of.  Simple uncomplicated goodies.
So I may have convinced myself that Adult meals need a little whala to them.
     But as I made this long list of meals I have cooked in days long gone.  I came to realize how 
Many where so simple and easy with ready ingredients.
So I have decided to go back to just Good Old Fashioned Cooking. I will learn to freeze the leftovers or better yet invite a neighbor over to enjoy a Casserole.
Oh sure,  I will make a complIcated dinner once in awhile but for the most part my new motto is 
Grandma's Down Home Cookin !!!!
Besides I want my Grandkids to enjoy the same good food as their Dad enjoyed.
So if you smell..... Meatloaf or breaded pork chops or beef stew cooking it will be coming from my
Kitchen.
Yes......
Good Old Fashioned Food.
Now where is my Apron !!!
Mama Zeno


No comments:

Post a Comment